Monday, May 23, 2011

Book review - "Shelter for the Spirit" by Victoria Moran, copywrite 1998


This is great book for summer reading. It costs $13.99 in paperback, but my library had it. I learned new ways to feel "at home" despite the loneliness of widowhood. Suddenly, my security blanket was gone. Anyone who has temporarily lost their child's favorite blankie can understand the level of panic involved.

The author was a true widow for many years. She and her daughter traveled around the world, so their home changed often. She tried to make each place a haven for them both.

Her claim is that home is more of a feeling than an address, saying "people put energy into a place." Making a home with heart and imagination feeds the soul. Wandering and neglecting the home will make the soul complain in emotional and physical disturbances."

(This made me think of Montezuma's revenge!)

Moran continues to say "we may think our insecurities will go away if we understand them and change our personalities. But insecurity may call for a more tangible response.

What makes us feel secure? Parents, friends, a familiar place, good work, and a real home. Whatever can help us feel "at home" while on the job, traveling, or in the house gives reassurance of being grounded and centered."

Tangibles include simplifying but relishing cooking and housekeeping, while elaborating on celebrations, sitting and relaxing, and just being comfortable. It all sounded good to me, and I think it will to you, also. *

* The exception for me was found in the Appendixes. This was where the author lost me. You will never find me trying to home school anyone, human or otherwise. I am woefully underequipped in that area. Teaching is for the brave and smart (I am neither).

And Home Birth is something I'd rather not tackle as well. That is why they have those nice, big hospitals full of drugs.

But to each his own, I always say.

No comments:

Post a Comment